Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Inspiring Story #2

  Today we have another wonderful Inspiring Story submitted by Robin Richards.                                                          


 The Secret of Life


After my father died, I struggled. All of my grandparents passed a while ago, but this was my father. No one would love me like he did ever again. I obsessed over whether or not he was "okay." The logical part assured me that he was. The emotional part scrambled for purchase.

He started coming to me in dreams. Each time I awoke there was a vague memory of him being in there somewhere. He wanted my attention, but my brain was cluttered.

Finally, I had this dream, which I know was a very real conversation between me and my dad - after he died.

In my dream, I was stranded in the middle of a large body of water, with no land in sight. I held  in my hands something that could save me. But the only thing that I had to activate it was a sharp implement and the device was delicate. It required navigating a lot of dangerous territory to reach one of two canisters. A voice told me that if the sharp implement punctured anything other than the canisters, which were difficult to reach, I would die.

I asked, "What happens if I choose to not try to reach the canisters?"

The voice said, "You will die."

Anxiety flooded my system. Not trying ceased to be an option, so I took a shot and lost. The voice, which I believe was God, told me that I had punctured something other than the canisters and now I would die.

I asked, "Will I drown?"

The voice said, "No. A foam-like substance will leak out of the canisters and expand to consume all of the air space."

Death stared me in the face.  Ironically, all of the anxiety dissipated.  When you KNOW you are going to die, you don't get upset. At least I didn't. My first thought was that I would be with my dad again.

"So, I am going to die," I said to God. I was resigned. It was okay.

And then I heard my father say this, " You know we're all gonna die someday." He always had this incredibly dry sense of humor. I turned around and there he was. He was young. He looked just as I remembered him when I was a kid. Too see him and hear him again acted like a balm to my wounded soul.

I laughed. He was right, after all.

He then said, "It is all about what you do now. Create all you can while you can." He then paused and said, "Do you want to see what I have been working on?"

"Yes," I said.

He pulled out a piece of wood, circular in shape, one inch thickness, approximately 24 square inches. He said that he cut, sanded, stained, finished, and painted the artwork himself. Delicate flowers burnt the wood  into a lovely design. He painted the flowers in blues, purples, and yellows. They inter-weaved themselves like a vine across the wood. In the middle there was a saying that I wish I could remember, but the essence was not to take yourself too seriously. Have fun with this thing called life.

I was filled with genuine surprise. My father didn't make anything like this when he was alive and that was the point. Death isn't an ending. It's another beginning. When we live in spirit, we understand all of the things we didn't while we were here. We see ourselves as creators. We want to venture into territory that previously made us uncomfortable.

He accomplished two things in that dream. First, I knew he was okay. He talked to me. He showed me that he was thriving. Second, he handed me the secret to living our best possible life. Reach. Stretch. Create. Extend yourself beyond what is familiar. It is the joy in life. It is why we are here.

Written By: Robin Richards







20 comments:

mshatch said...

Wow. What a powerful dream.

Charity Bradford said...

It's wonderful how our loved ones can still teach and comfort us even after they are gone.

Misha Gerrick said...

Wow thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story.

tasha said...

This is a great inspiring story! I love how you give us a taste of the amazing man who was your father and still share a lesson that he inspired in you. Now, not only you, but many others can glean a better life because of his advice! Very well done!
- Real Imprints -

Liza said...

So many truths express themselves through dreams.

Real Imprints said...

What a great story! I love how it's catchy at first and then teaches and inspires at the end! I love how you share your struggles as well as how you overcame them! Your dad sounds like an amazing man, what a neat experience! -Real Imprints

Robin said...

Thank you for the feedback. I am so thankful for those moments with my dad. It makes it possible to think about him and smile.

Kristin Smith said...

This is such a wonderful story, full of emotion and heart. I love that your father came to you in your dreams--sometimes that's the best time for us to be inspired. He shared such a powerful message and I thank you for sharing it with us. Beautifully written story.

Blue Grumpster said...

I cannot believe I'm reading this. Only five minutes ago I wrote about a dialogue with God. I finished it, went to your blog and found this. Good thing I believe in coincidence but my jaw dropped for just a moment.

I'm still looking for the best way to live my life. I hope my life brings joy to others. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. It really resonated with me as someone who lost her father, and working through some of those similar questions. The joy, the love. It's why we are here. Wonderful ending. Thank you so much for sharing!

Yvonne said...

Whoah! That's a chilling dream. I love the way you re-told it. I've had dreams that instense before. It kind of knocks you to the ground, doesn't it?

Heather said...

Wow that is so neat. What a great experience!

Anonymous said...

Inspirational. I shared a similar dream shortly after my father died years ago. I look forward to seeing him again in the future and learning all he has been up to.

Anonymous said...

Inspirational. I shared a similar dream shortly after my father died years ago. I look forward to seeing him again in the future and learning all he has been up to.

mail4rosey said...

I missed my grandma so much after she passed. I'd think of her, cry because I missed her sometimes, and I knew her love was so special, and real, and true...and so very unselfish that no one was every going to love me like that again. It was heart wrenching to have her gone.

And then I dreamt about her. I can't remember the dream, just that she was there, and talking to me, and okay. Happy even. And she still loved me.

And it was so real to me that I woke up and immediately thanked God for her visit. I've been at peace with her passing every since.

I loved your story, Robin. I'm glad you got to see your dad in a dream, and that he brought you such a nice thing for your heart. :)

Huntress said...

I struggled with the decisions I made for my mother when it was clear she was about to die. Then my aunt told me about my mom's last words:
"It'll be alright."

I believe it was partially in answer to my decisions for her but also because the gate to Heaven was opening and she was letting everyone including herself know that...it would be alright.

D.G. Hudson said...

An excellent story, Robin. I loved it because I had a similar experience when my brother died in a traffic accident. We lived far apart, on opposite sides of the continent. The dream came the night after the accident. It eased my frantic mind. Little did I know at the time, my dad and a young uncle would follow within the next two years.

Enjoyed the story, even if it brought the tears of remembrance.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You brought tears to my eyes. That was really inspiring, Robin. I hope that dream brought you peace.

Robin said...

Hearing all of you with similar stories only makes my story feel more powerful. It always felt real to me, but now I know that it feels real to you, too. We all struggle with death and loss. When we see it as it really is (transition), it does make it easier.

Thank you so much for your INSPIRING comments!!!!

Gossip_Grl said...

Robin That was a lovely story. As I scrolled down to leave my comment I noticed others and I think everyone who commented before me has said everything I am thinking right now! Great post and thanks for sharing your story!