Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Monday, May 9, 2016

Warning...This Person Is a Writer


First off, I hope everyone had a Happy Mother’s Day!
And thanks again to Chrys, CD, Charity, Elizabeth, Angela, Kristin and Marcy. Thanks for welcoming me as the newest moderator on Unicorn Bell.
As for my first official post on UB, I thought and thought about what can I blog about. What topic you’d find interesting, intellectual, funny and engaging.
But then I remembered that I also have to attend my work conference this week. Which I’ve been dreading for over a month now. I’m in for a long, long week. And will be in dire need of a few good laughs to shake off the lethargy of it all. So funny post it will be.
Last August #TenThingsNotToSayToAWriter started trending on Twitter. I also remembered a comedy skit. About how easy relationships would be if men and women walked around with warning labels. And I thought why not combine the two in some sort of game. A game of why writers should not be underestimated. Nor are they people you should mess with.
So let's have some fun with a game of ‘Warning...This person is a writer. He/she’ and finish it with the craziest, funniest, zaniest thing we can think of.
It can be based on things we’ve actually done. For example, if remembered correctly, Gilderoy Lockheart is actually based on a real person. As admitted by JK Rowling. Who also found the person Lockheart is based on annoying.
Or just make it up. Maybe it’s something we want to secretly do (in our writing). But we just haven’t met the person(s) who’ll make it possible.
Let’s start things off!
  • Warning...this person is a writer. He/she is a hand-to-hand combat elite who can pull your brains through your nose.
  • Warning...this person is a writer. He/she knows all your secrets and is itching to tell the whole world.
  • Warning...this person is a writer. He/she talks to dead people. Imaginary people. And people who exist on different planes.

Have you ever pulled a JK Rowling and written an annoying character based on someone real? Did you write them into embarrassing, humorous scenes? Or ever killed off a character who was based on someone real?

17 comments:

mshatch said...

I often put annoying people in my stories.

Warning...this person is a writer and she may you put you in her next book.

Lidy said...

Lol, what ended up happening to them in your stories? And yes, that is a great warning. I remember reading a funny post/comic on FB stating if you don't want to be written about then don't do anything worth writing about.

Don Shetterly - Relaxing Piano Music said...

Warning... this person is a writer and they may be sensitive, thoughtful, ticked off, or all of the above at one time.

Lidy said...

@Don Oh we are definitely an emotional bunch aren't we? A roller coaster ride for only the brave. Or foolish.

Unknown said...

HA! I once wrote a short story BECAUSE I was annoyed with someone. It is called KILLING JULIE MORRIS and it was bought by and published in a New England crime anthology. I really had a good time with that story!!!

@Kathleen01930
Blog

Lidy said...

Lmao. Oh yes, we will kill you in a story. It's great that their annoyance led to something great. I once wrote a poem and named it after a boy I went to daycare with. We weren't even 10 yet and already he thought he was so great. Had the nerve to say he didn't want to play with ugly girls and left me out of the game.

Chrys Fey said...

Warning...this person is a writer. He/she may make you a villain in his/her book just so he/she can kill you off in clever and brutal ways.

Aderyn Wood said...

One of the benefits of being an author – sweet revenge :)

Kelly Hashway said...

It's so tempting to write an annoying person into a book. I haven't given in to that temptation though.

Liz A. said...

Warning...this person is a writer and will quote you in her next novel.

Nicola said...

Annoying people are such much fun to write. Great post! Thank you.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Warning...this person is a writer. Whose Google searches will make you fear the terrorists several countries away much less.

Lidy said...

@Chrys Lol, so true. I wish people will realize that. But then that would mean there'll be one less avenue in creating villains readers will love to hate.

@Kelly I've yet to pen a real live annoying person in a story. But I have been inspired to create a hilarious character from a real person (in a good way). They're just that funny not to create and explore in a story.

@Liz Oh yes, we will definitely quote you. Don't think we won't.

@Nicola Thanks. And yes, they are. They make for some awesome characters that you just can't help sticking them between a rock and a hard place.

@Sheena So very true. They even have a mug that says "Pay no attention to my browsing history. I'm a writer, not a serial killer." https://www.pinterest.com/pin/417427459191933494/

Kristie Suul said...

I like to base a lot of my characters off real people. Most of the time they don't end up resembling their real life doppelgangers, but I can still see that tiny little thing that links them. And yes, some of my "not-so-likable" characters were created after people I wasn't overly fond of.

I'd say the comment someone made earlier about "warning you could be in my next book" is the perfect warning since it's so hard not to think of annoying people when writing an annoying character!

Lidy said...

@Aderyn Wood Yes, the sweet revenge. :-D

@Kristen Yeah, annoying people are gold mines. Maybe we shouldn't warn them that they could end up in the next book. ;-D

Angela said...

Warning...this person is a writer. She knows 1,000 different ways to kill you and get away with it.

Great post, Lidy!

Lidy said...

@Angela Thanks. And yes, so very true. Oh the things we learn in the name of research for our story. :-D