Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Monday, February 27, 2012

A Picture Paints 1000 Words

First, I have a little unfinished business to take care of. I signed our little blog up for Rachael Harrie's Fourth Platform Building Campaign right before my computer died. I've been AWOL ever since.

I apologize, and want to say THANK YOU to those of you who have stopped by. I'll start my rounds this week visiting your blogs.

Now for some new business.

Remember when we talked about blogfests a few weeks back? Well, I think it's time we hosted one here on Unicorn Bell. How about you? Introducing...
Here's how it will work:
1. Sign up in Mr. Linky below.
2. Tell your friends any way you want and send them over to sign up for the party.
3. Choose a picture to inspire your short story (the story can be about what you see in the picture, or just something that it sparked in your imagination.)
4. On Monday-Wednesday (March 26-28), post your story of 1000 words or less and go around to visit the other participants. You may want to post early, see below.
5. The four of us at UB will do the same and pick our four favorites to post links to on Wednesday night.
6. On Thursday you get to read the four and vote for your favorite.
7. The winner will be announced on Friday. They will have a choice between a first chapter critique from those of us at UB, or a $20 gift card to Amazon (courtesy of me).

And now, the pictures. They lean more toward the fantasy and sci-fi genres, but that seems to be what most of our commentators write. Feel free to tweak it to your personal style. Most of all, have fun! I found the first half on Fantasy Art Design, the rest were on my computer in the sample pictures.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CD, Marcy, Jeff and I can play, but will not be in the running for prizes. :)

24 comments:

Alicia Willette-Cook said...

Quick question...may be silly, but does the story have the be 1000 words or less? I'm assuming yes, as that's the title of the fest...but wanted to make sure!

Charity Bradford said...

Yes! I'll clarify above, but thanks for the question. It is 1000 words or less.

dolorah said...

Ooooh, cool. This sounds awesome; except there are way to many excellent pictures to choose from.

I put the blogfest in my sidebar and will try to get a post up about it by next week.

......dhole

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Oh wow, I love those pictures.

Tara Tyler said...

awesome idea! and those pics are so inspiring! hard to choose!

Luanne G. Smith said...

I very nearly signed up, and then I remembered I'll be in England that week!

Tracy Jo said...

This is right up my alley! Super excited. Thank you for hosting this blogfest. :-)

M Pax said...

I'm debating signing up... It's a great idea.

mshatch said...

oh, too bad...I mean, how awesome!!!

Brooke R. Busse said...

Now all there is to do is decide which photo to go off of... leaning toward Little Miss Muffet.

Angela Brown said...

This is so exciting. Now I've got to figure out which of these striking pictures to choose.

Jocelyn Rish said...

These are some really inspiring pictures. Also, I love the title of your blog.

I’ve been slow in making my rounds, but I’m saying howdy from the YA campaign group.

Author A.O. Peart said...

I love the idea behind this blogfest. The pictures are stunning and I would have a hard time to choose just one! Although I am not participating, I will try to visit blogs on the list!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Gorgeous pictures! So hard to decide! Although they lend themselves to fantasy/sci-fi is that a requirement of the fest or can you write in any genre?

Charity Bradford said...

You can write in any genre you want!

Callie Leuck said...

You could write it beforehand and schedule it?

Charity Bradford said...

Yes, definitely! The scheduling feature is one of my favorites.

Julie Dao said...

This looks like so much fun! I'm definitely in!

stu said...

I'm sure I'll think of something.

Anonymous said...

I love that cottage on the hill image. I'll have to think about what I might write. Great Blogfest.

Nighfala said...

Aw man, I didn't find out about this until now. Bummer! That last photo is one of my favorites.

Mia Hayson said...

Ahhh. Haha. Like Christine I totally didn't look at this until now. SUPER SAD. Neverr mind.

Umm. With your permission I'd love to post something anyway because I already wrote it andd it's not going to GO anywhere.

<3

Charity Bradford said...

Definitely post it! I can't wait to read it.

Charity Bradford said...

We'll do it again and catch you next time.