Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Even Small Steps Count


In my opening post here at Unicorn Bell, I stressed the importance of making sure you don’t give up on your writing. There’s a very good reason for it. You probably want it bad enough if you’re writing. It’s okay if you’re still unsure whether or not you truly want this, by the way. It takes time to explore something. If at the end of the day you find yourself not really as passionate for writing as you believed, that’s okay. You can take solace in knowing that you at least tried something.

For those who are struggling with writer’s block, allow me to share this bit of knowledge with you. Write as if today were your last chance to ever write. You don’t have to pull out a NYT bestseller in one session. (It takes lots of diligence, patience, and years for that.) You can start with something as small as an email or a blog post. You could even write a haiku. So long as you’re getting words down on paper or on the screen, you’re engaging in the physical act of writing.

Tomorrow and Friday I’ll share some things with you that may get those creative juices flowing. For now, why not go revisit your favorite book as a starting ground for inspiration? Reading also helps, you know. See you tomorrow!

5 comments:

N. R. Williams said...

Good advice. While I was sick, I had the sense that my characters were all outside my front door waiting for me to open it.
Nancy

mshatch said...

I always find that reading helps me, or even television/movies. Ideas are everywhere if you look :)

Tara Tyler said...

reading always helps! reading got me started!

Kerri Cuev said...

Reading always helps me wiggle out of a writing block. Good post! Stopping by from the Campaign to say hello.

Jeff Beesler said...

Nancy: Lately I feel like my characters have been trying to talk to me through my dreams. I keep seeing people who I have never seen before out in the waking world wanting to be chummy with me and stuff.

Mshatch: Yes, they really are everywhere!

Tara: That's how it usually begins.

Kerri: Hello to you, too!