Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Monday, July 18, 2011

How to write a story - part one

Most stories start with the shiny new idea, the 'what if' that inspires us. I'm pretty lucky in that I never lack for ideas. Not only do I have all those I've found in the past and haven't had time to write but I also find brand new ones all the time. Usually they just pop into my head while I'm doing some mundane chore like taking a shower, driving, or running with my dog.

But if, perchance, you have trouble finding new ideas here are some places I've discovered a few:

Art
Conversations overheard
Dictionaries
Fairy Tales
History
Newspaper or Magazine headlines

Maps of places you've never been to
Music
Myth
The Obituaries


 Where do you find new ideas?


ps don't forget to start thinking about next week. I've decided to do something a little different. Instead of your first page, I want the first page of your second chapter and the title/genre. Lets mix it up a bit, shall we?  email me here: marcy@tidewater.net with unicorn bell in the subject line.

2 comments:

Stina said...

I love how ideas come to me out of the weirdest places, and take shape whenever I go running. :D

Charity Bradford said...

Great post Marcy. I love how everyday events can spark an idea. That "what if" you mentioned.