An unselfish wish made on the horn of a unicorn will come true. Our wish? To support the writing community by giving constructive tips and criticism through submissions. Check out the submissions tab for more information. We can survive the crucible of fire together.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A gift


My first memory is the day I told my first lie.

It was my third birthday and, as only the second grandchild born, I was a little bit spoiled in having all my aunts, uncles, parents and sister gathered together at my Nana’s house to celebrate.

What I wanted was a truck, a gloriously heavy yellow metal Tonka dump-trunk like my sister had, large enough for a small child to sit in. I was not allowed to sit in hers. What I got was a blonde doll who you fed water to with a bottle... and then you would sit the doll on a pink, plastic potty where... well, you get the idea.

I remember the moment unwrapping it, I remember the disgust I felt when I figured out its very limited purpose... and I remember the brilliant smile on my Nana’s face, so excited was she that I had opened her gift first.

My first memory is the day I told my first lie. Somewhere in a photo album, there is a picture of me with my Nana, my tiny face twisted by the new and unfamiliar desire to please someone other than myself. And though I hated that doll and never played with it, I can clearly remember that ugly, pink plastic potty.

I remember those Tonka trucks. My brother had one. Really like this piece.

5 comments:

1000th.monkey said...

Thanks! ...and it's 100% true :)

Huntress said...

I don't know whether to laugh or go 'ahhhh'.

All I wanted was a pogo stick. Fortunately, I never got it.

Love this.

Angela Brown said...

Well, um...hmmm. I feel like giving you a hug and telling you you were a champ for taking one for the team...Team "I want a Tonka".

I'm interested in knowing but a little afraid to ask, whatever happened to little miss Sip N Wet?

1000th.monkey said...

@ Huntress

What can I say, I wasn't a girl who played with dolls :)

...but now you can buy your own pogo stick if you want it ;) I drive a Ford F150, so I kinda got my truck :P Too bad it's black instead of yellow.

@ Angela

I remember going home and throwing it into the cupboard in the playroom where our toys were stored. The only time it came out when when a friend of mine came over, 'cause she liked it. I have no idea where it is now, but I can still picture the soft blue body, fat plastic cheeks, short curly blonde hair... and that horrible pink potty :)

Pat Tillett said...

That was life, starting it's beat down on you...
I developed very low expectations at an early age, so I was rarely disappointed. Or at least I didn't let myself feel it.