Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Born all Foggy

This week it’s about the popular book, movie, or TV show that fell flat like a bad cake.

Please. No hating on me for my likes and dislikes. As the last literary agent said in her rejection letter, personal preference is subjective.


Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.

But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

I worship at the altar of fantasy. I love all kinds, high, S & S, dark, urban. 

So an epic fantasy by an acclaimed author should fulfill all my expectations. Right?

Wrong.

The series of Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson is only one of many. I had trouble connecting with the characters and the storyline. Lots of dialogue that seemed to go nowhere. 

I bought the book several months ago and I'm only about halfway through. Sometimes I go back and read a bit more.

Unlike the books by Patricia Briggs or Robin Hobbs that I devour in a day.

Pity me. Please.

Tomorrow I'll hit on a book that made me sick with disappointment. 


3 comments:

Patchi said...

If it's any consolation, I bought the boxed set and only got through the prologue. Years ago. I keep meaning to go back but always pick something else to read. Maybe some day...

Huntress said...

I bought a series on the recommendation of a friend without investigating or reading the back cover. The series was The Hunger Games.

Outstanding. :D

Turns out my friend (Charity) and I have the same taste. As long as it's not Doctor Who.

Liz A. said...

I haven't heard of this one. Should I have? (I admit, my knowledge is pretty paltry for someone who purports to be a fan of the genre.)