Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

3 questions for: Louise Lyons

Have you ever re-read a book until it fell apart? (YA reading level or above) Which book and why?
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. It was the first book my dad bought me as a gift when I learned to read. I was crazy about horses and I loved the story with a passion, and consequently read it over and over.

Have you ever gone someplace or done something exclusively as research for a story? Where/what?
My first novel, Conflicted, is based around the scene of drag racing and exhibiting cars.  I wouldn't say I specifically made a trip for research purposes, but that my own love of cars, racing, stunts etc has made me very familiar with a drag racing strip and showground in the UK, which inspired the basis for Conflicted.  Since it was written, I have actively hunted around such shows for the same cars my characters drove, in order to grab photos for promo reasons.

What was the best piece of writing advice you've gotten?
Don't let poor reviews spoil your passion for writing.  Let's face it - everyone is different. The most famous, best selling authors in all genres will have people who don't like their work for whatever reason. There is always going to be someone who doesn't like what you write, just as there will be people who do like it.  I allowed a couple of unkind comments in the past to put a temporary halt to my writing, which is something I very much regret. Practice makes perfect and the more one writes, the better one gets. If writing is your passion, as it is mine, keep going!


Conflicted
Two competing gangs of car and drag racing enthusiasts with a shared history of pain and rivalry leading to outright hatred. Two men from opposite sides of the tracks, yet more in common than they’d like to admit.

Paul Appleton is a troubled man who has never been in a relationship, having lost everyone he cared for in his life. His mother died when he was very young and subsequently, he lost his brother and his best friend. Now Paul is convinced love will always end in tears.

Greg was living on the streets after his parents died and was stabbed by a junkie, ending up in hospital. The Buchanans took Greg under their wing while doing charity work, and Greg joined their loving family when he was adopted. He and his siblings are also car enthusiasts with much more money and therefore better cars than Paul Appleton’s gang.

When they eventually find a connection, Paul fights his feelings and tries to convince himself his lover is only a temporary bit of fun, but Greg has other ideas.

1 comment:

Liz A. said...

"I have actively hunted around such shows for the same cars my characters drove, in order to grab photos for promo reasons."

For promo reasons... Sure, right, I believe you...