Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Why

Over two years ago, I started blogging in order to connect with other people who were trying to do the same thing: get published. I wasn't very good at it to start and it took me a while to get followers, longer still to figure out how to connect. But I finally did and two of the people I met became my first critique partners and one of them invited me to be a moderator here at Unicorn Bell. Now you might ask why on earth would I want to do that when I already had my own blog and my own writing not to mention a full-time soul-sucking job? I'll tell you why. It's because I discovered that reading other people's work and having them read mine was making me a better writer. I was starting to use the active voice all on my own - without prompting. I was eliminating unnecessary words - sometimes seconds after typing them. And I was getting some pretty nice rejection letters, too, ones that said things like not now but please send something else, rather than the usual form rejection (and trust me, I've got plenty of those, too). And that's why I agreed to join Huntress and Charity here at Unicorn Bell. Because this is the sort of place I was looking for in the first place. A place to share my work with others, get feedback, and improve my craft.

So, if you're here for the same reason I am, I hope you'll send us something - anything you might like a little feedback on - just make it under 250 words or thereabouts, and we'll critique it, offer our suggestions on how to make it better, and hopefully you will, too. Because I have a feeling we're all here for the same reason :)

happy writing ~ marcy

ps send submissions to unicornbellsubmissions@gmail.com

4 comments:

Angela Brown said...

Submission question: would it be possible to send a submission for like a kissing scene? I'm working on incorporating a few into my WiP, but the ones I have don't scream "ooooh" or "ahhhh" to me. I'm trying to build up to the moment, stretch the tension and do more than say, "And they kissed" lol!!!

Tara Tyler said...

marcy, you are so awesome! i hope you get lots of responses!

Brooke R. Busse said...

I'll be sending loads more submissions once I actually start revising my novel. I've been trying to finish up my last few short stories first.

mshatch said...

Angela, yes! Please send anything you feel you need help with. Just let us know if you would like to be anonymous or not.

Tara, thanks :)

Brooke, can't wait!