Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Accomplishing the *Near* Impossible.

"There is no mistaking the dismay on the face of a writer who has just heard that his brainchild is a deformed idiot" – L. Sprague de Camp

To me, that quote defines everything I feel about a query. Just thinking about it makes me cuss. It’s a good thing help is available. Otherwise, my ‘deformed idiot’ would sink like a stone.
Resources:

Falling Leaflets. Check out the sidebar.

Carolyn Jewel.

Matthew MacNish.

This month, Vickie Motter, an agent with Andrea Hurst Literary, is posting great advice on queries, what they are, what they should and should not contain.

It still comes down to a lot of angst, blood, and weeks and weeks of chocolate.
This is where your critique partners come into the mix. Do not think you can do this on your own. I cannot stress that enough. Writers need that ‘fresh’ eye to critique their words.

Do you have a query to trade or crit?


5 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I don't have a query to trade or crit. I read Vickie Motter's blog.

Stina said...

One of my beta readers and my CP wrote my query for me. So far it's working. :D

Matt does an awesome job critting queries!

Huntress said...

Ah. Maybe THAT is what I need.
Betas?

mshatch said...

Matt is awesome at showing you what's working and what's not, as well as making excellent suggestions for how to make it better. Seriously. If you have a query you think is ready, run it by Matt first.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

This is what's so great about the internet writing community-- so many experts to draw from. Good luck with your query! And that quote at the top of your post is funny but true. Every time I have to open up my wip I have this fear that I'll find a deformed idiot. Or a deformed manuscript, and I'm the idiot for thinking it was anything but.