Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Dear Young Writer


NOTE: A young writer recently asked me if it was possible for him to get published, this one is for him.


Dear Young Writer,

You may feel that because you’re so young that your dream of becoming a published author is as big as the Milky Way and so far out of your reach that you’d have to cross a galaxy to achieve it. I am here to tell you that you can hold that dream in the palm of your hand, that it is possible.

How do I know this? Because I was once you and I have met my dream of being an author.

Don’t think about your age or the score of people also hoping to publish their books. Instead, focus on writing and learning your craft. Write while you wait for the bus. Write in class after you get all of your work done. Write at home. Write before bed. Write everywhere, all the time.

Image from Flickr.

And read. Read books in the genres you enjoy the most. Read books with the same topics as what you’re writing about. Read books about writing. This last one is especially important, because if you study and take notes about the craft of writing, editing and publishing, you’ll have an easier time with all of them.

When I was young and struggling, on the cusp of depression, I would tell myself this: “The universe would not have given me these story ideas if I wasn’t meant to publish them.”

And I believe the same for all writers. I believe the same for you.

So when you feel that publishing is impossible say to yourself, “I would not have these story ideas if I wasn’t meant to publish them.” And believe it with all your might. Feel it in the marrow of your bones.

YOU WILL BE A PUBLISHED AUTHOR.

IT IS POSSIBLE!

XOXO,

Chrys Fey


QUESTION: How old were you when you started writing? 

I was twelve but I became a serious writer at seventeen.


Have a writing-related question? Leave a comment and I may turn it into a post right here!





Author of Hurricane Crimes, 30 Seconds, Ghost of Death, and Witch of Death. Blogger. Reader. Auntie. Vegetarian. Cat Lover.

Find Me:


14 comments:

mshatch said...

I've been writing stories since I was in elementary school - and that's a long time!

Chrys Fey said...

@mshatch, so have I. It's a life-long dream, passion, and ambition for us. :)

EliasM said...

This is pretty inspiring to us old writers, too. Thanks for the #WW shot in the arm.

Suzanne Furness said...

What great advice, I hope your young writer achieves their dreams. I started out writing poetry as a teenager and always thinking that one day I would write a book. I kept going at the poetry and used writing in other areas of my life, but I didn't start writing that first book until I was in my earlier forties!

Chrys Fey said...

@Elias, I hadn't thought about this for older writers, but you're right. It does work in both cases. :D

@Suzanne, I hope so too. :) He has the strive and that's always a good thing. I like how your journey changed throughout your life. That is inspiring.

Patrick Stahl said...

Oh yeah, it's very possible, especially in short form. I sold three 100-word stories a couple weeks before I turned 17 (still haven't even finished writing a novel though). I would say I started writing when I was 11. I guess you could say I started writing seriously at 15, maybe, though I still don't write nearly enough at a month shy of 18.

Chrys Fey said...

@Patrick, that is awesome! When I was seventeen, I was rewriting my series. At eighteen, I finally finished the first book and was sending out queries for it. I didn't publish flash fiction until I was twenty-one, I believe. And I have never sold a flash fiction piece or article. So that is a nice accomplishment! You have plenty of time to finish a novel. :)

Carrie-Anne said...

I've been writing since I was four, since I knew how to write. My first stories were picture books. As I got older, it developed into writing novelette- and novella-length stories, and finally novel-length stories as a teenager. I've left behind a lot of unfinished stories and abandoned characters from my younger years, but I've stayed with many others, and have plans to resurrect some of my long-shelved characters.

Liz A. said...

I started making up stories when I was about 12. I didn't start writing them down until I was 26.

Being a published author has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with writing. Just write. And strive to get better. That's all that matters.

dolorah said...

Good advice.

I think I was about 14, but did not really get started until about 42.

Ava Quinn said...

Nicely said, Chrys. :)

I've been writing seriously for the past 6 years. Still learning every day.

Chrys Fey said...

@Carrie-Anne, my first story was a picture book at about five. :)

@Liz, nice advice. I couldn't agree more.

@Dolorah, it seems most of us start young. :)

@Ava, thanks! :D

Charity Bradford said...

I played around with lots of story ideas in high school, but I wouldn't say I was serious until my 30s. Yeah, guess I'm a late bloomer.

Chrys Fey said...

@Charity, late bloomers are fabulous! :D