Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

A year of Blogfests and Contest, Starting with Love is In the Air

This year at Unicorn Bell, we are going to have more fun! Yep. We want to enjoy writing again for the sake of writing. Whether it be something serious or silly, we want to write something just to see if we can. No strings or expectations attached.

How are we going to do this you ask?

Blogfests and contests!


We will have several throughout the year and anyone and everyone is invited to play. Here are some of the ideas we're tossing around...

Blogfests
Love is in the Air
Twisted Fairy Tales--genre wars
Breathe More, Talk Less--dive into the senses, little to no dialogue
Critique Partner Pitches--you've got to sell yourself!
Facebook Blog Hop--no strings attached, just a list to browse and find new friends
Action vs. Suspense

Contests (with prizes!)
100 word Drabble--use specific words
1st Paragraphs or Pages
3 line Pitches
Every Which Way the Wind Blows--Themed topic
Dialogue Challenge--Dialogue between two people, no tags. Can you make it work?
QueryCon 2014--Our annual 3 week intensive workshop and agent/editor judged query workshops

We obviously won't get to do all of them, so which ones peak your interest? Anything else you'd love to see as a blogfest? Tell us down in the comments.

Now, for our first blogfest of 2014...in honor of the quickly approaching Valentine's day...

It's a celebration of that little thing called love. Be it steamy or sweet, puppy, kitty, teen, aggravating, first kiss or final goodbye, let your scene tug at our heartstrings.

Share your lovey dovey moment on January 20th and then visit and comment on the other blogs on the list.

15 comments:

blankenship.louise said...

Genre wars? (runs to get armor and sword...)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Bummer, if I wasn't already co-hosting the Marketing Symposium Fest that day...

Liz A. said...

They all sound kinda interesting.

Charity Bradford said...

@L Oh Yeah!!

@Alex, no worries! I need to make sure I swing by and check that out too. :)

@Liz, thanks! Now, to see how many we can pull off. :)

E. Arroyo said...

They all sound great!

Stephen Tremp said...

Genre Wars ... now that is a blogfest I could sink my teeth and my sword into.

Unknown said...

They all sound like fun. :)

dolorah said...

Twisted Fairy Tales and Breathe are my picks. I'll try to participate in this one too, but no promises.

......dhole

Charity Bradford said...

I wish we had a "Like" button for comments that don't necessarily require a comment.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I'm here, Marcy! I do already have a post scheduled for Jan. 20th. I'll what I can do to move things around. Maybe I'll hop back over to sign up. I did spread the word for you, though.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I was able to move some posts around, so I'm in!!!

Unknown said...

What a great way to start the new year!

Crystal Collier said...

Yay for love! Now I just have to decide if what I'll share is fictional or true life. *gulp*

Nana Prah said...

Can I please have the link for the blog list?

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Yes, Yes, Wonderful!
Love is in the Air Again!!
I just joined in.
Best
Phil