Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Monday, March 12, 2018

Since I Became a Writer


Regrets. I fulfilled ambitions. Goals were met. But I feel it hasn’t been without casting off bits and pieces of my soul along the way. Sure, the education is fantastic. I love the many things I’ve learned. Not only about writing but also publishing, querying, and marketing.

The biggest regret though is editing, piercing the mind’s eye and getting to the story via words, storyline, and clarity. Focusing on my personal work is illuminating. But unfortunately, no one gave me the off switch and I can’t turn it off.

And the horrible unintended consequence? Reading for pleasure.

Since I was six, I read everything I could get my grubby hands on. Tom Jones, Bambi, The Black Stallion books. The Three Musketeers and about every Heinlein book.

Arthur C. Clarke, J.R.R. Tolkein, J.K. Rowlings, Tom Clancy.

The Rabbi books by Harry Kelmelman (Friday, the Rabbi Slept Late, Thursday the Rabbi Walked Out), Mary Stewart (Airs Above Ground, The Ivy Tree).

So many great books. So many wonderful places I’ve gone without leaving my house.

*sigh*

Once any book, any genre interested me. Fiction, fantasy, autobiography. Any novel, any subject.
I don’t know what happened. But my lack of interest coincided with becoming an author.

Am I alone or have others have found themselves in the same patch of the woods.


4 comments:

Patchi said...

Not alone at all. I have been listening to more novels than I have been reading. Part of the blame is on my daily hour-long commute, but I also find it easier to turn off my auto-editor when I'm listening. For me to read a book without focusing on the language, the plot needs to be so engaging that I lose myself in the story. Unless, of course, the writing is exceptional and there is nothing to edit. (I'm sure the latter exists.)

Liz A. said...

It'll come back. I think we all go through phases. There are times when the reading just isn't there. Your focus is too much on the minutae. But there will be a point when you can step back and read. Just know it's coming and don't fret too much.

Darla M Sands said...

I feel for you! I never imagined being unable to finish a book until a few years ago. And I haven't tried to publish my series! I hope Liz is right. ~hugs~ For now I'm just happy to enjoy writing so much. Be well!

Patsy said...

I still love reading just as much as I did before I started writing – though I suppose I enjoy books in a slightly different way now.