Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Trouble

Today I'm sharing my post at mainewords -

According to Les Edgerton, author of Hooked, "All stories are about one thing: trouble. What does trouble create? The hope that we can do something to get out of it."

I saw this quote at Writer Unboxed, and I've been thinking about it ever since. Mostly because I was having some trouble with character motivation. Just that one little quote actually lent some new perspective to my dilemma, after which, I found more helpful quotes:

"What can I do about it anyway? Every squeak counts, if only in self-respect."

"The hour of consciousness doesn't mean cognition only, but understanding..."

"The search for justice is timeless, and courage isn't lack of fear but persisting despite our fear."

"There is just this, and it is everything."

Saturday night I had to do an errand after work, which was about the last thing I wanted to do. But as I drove past Sherman Marsh I smiled because the errand wasn't going to take too long, and it was a lovely, warm summer evening. The last of the sun was all golden, the wind was blowing through the car from the open windows, and my dog was happy to be doing something different. And I thought, yes, there is just this, and it is everything.




What's inspiring you this week? 

5 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

Trouble and conflict make the stories.

"there is just this, and it is everything." I love that!

This week, I'm feeling inspired that things aren't going to be as stressful. Hopefully.

Liz A. said...

At the moment, a nap would be inspiring. (I actually had to get out of bed before noon. My body is protesting.)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

It is inspiring to know we are all apart of this world and can make a difference just by being alive/existing.

Unknown said...

The weather here on our little island has been just beautiful with plenty of sea breezes. It's made me feel quite dreamy and in the mood for writing.

Magic Love Crow said...

Gorgeous photo! Peace, love and happiness always! Let the stress go! Breathe! Everything will be perfect!