The other day I was reading Nicole Zoltack's blog post containing a checklist for the First Five Pages. Now, I would never ask you to send five pages for posting--(you shouldn't as it would be considered published and might cause problems at a later time), but I thought we could use the checklist for the first 400 words of your WIP.
Here's the checklist (I've tweaked it a bit for a shorter section):
1. Is the page engaging?
2. Do you want to keep reading?
3. Is the main character likeable?
4. Is the scene set clearly enough to ground the reader?
5. Is the voice strong?
6. Is it passive/telling?
7. Is the pacing too slow, too fast, or just right?
8. Does the dialogue sound stilted?
If you would like to have these questions answered for your first 400 words, send them in to email@example.com with First 400 in the subject line.
I'll post as many as I receive over the next few days.