- Send an automatic "Thank you for joining the newsletter!" Because, well, it's nice to be noticed for signing up.
- Send a link to free gifts after readers perform certain tasks--like subscribe, reply, or whatever you want to ask.
- You can create a welcome series that will automatically be sent to new subscribers over whatever period of time and schedule you wish. The idea behind this is so you can provide all the same information without much effort on your part. It also makes it easy to not double up on emails to your subscribers. Who wants to get the same newsletter more than once?
- You can create a separate newsletter series for people who decide to sign up for your street team. This would come after several of the welcome series newsletters. If a reader has stuck with you through 10 welcome newsletters and still opens them, they must be a true fan. They are the ones you'd like to offer specials to and ask them to join your street team.
- If you have a store attached to your mail account, you can send automated thank you's for purchases.
- You can even send an automated note when someone unsubscribes from your list. What would you say in one of those? "Thanks for hanging out with me, have a great life!"?
All of this could be a moot point though if you don't have newsletter readers. So, how do you get readers?
Let me ask you, when, where, and why have you signed up for newsletters in the past?