Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Zealot - A to Z Challenge


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? Occasionally, I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements ;)

What if the zealot you've been debating (on social media, at work, in the coffee shop line, in your family...) suddenly said something you completely agree with? On a topic you both vehemently disagree about? (Did they suddenly see sense? Did you just go crazy?)

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter...

9 comments:

Karen Baldwin said...

Having had this happen a number of times, I had to take a deep breath, put on my big girl panties, and tell them I agreed...knowing...hoping...praying...they wouldn't gloat.

Unknown said...

I've had this happen and I try to be fair. Even a bling pig finds an acorn once in awhile. Thanks for playing. I enjoyed it so much.

@Kathleen01930
Meet My Imaginary Friends
#AtoZchallenge

Nicola said...

Thought provoking! Congratulations on completing the challenge. Wishing you a great weekend.

Huntress said...

If a formerly unmovable person suddenly changed their mind on an opinion rooted in stone, the theme song from The Twilight zone would be playing.
I'd want to check my bearings and see if i was in the right dimension.

Sharon Himsl said...

Rarely but it would be a breakthrough moment for both of us! Thanks for probing our minds this year. Congrats finishing the A-Z!!

Donna McDine said...

I'm with Em-Musing... it's imperative to take a deep breath and move on. Great posts throughout the challenge. I've enjoyed visiting you!

Darla M Sands said...

Ooh! This reminds me of a podcast from "This American Life" about door-to-door pollsters. They were able to change minds with very reasonable conversations about some sensitive topics. It warmed my heart. Congratulations on a great job with the challenge!

Liz A. said...

@Em: You've had that happen? Scary.

@Kathleen: You too? I guess they, too, can be right from time to time.

@Huntress: Yes, I agree.

@Sharon: I guess it could happen. Sometimes.

@Donna: Perhaps they're the ones that finally got it right?

@Darla: I'll have to find that podcast. Sounds like it might be interesting.

Toni said...

Has happened on occasion. I concur with as much enthusiasm as I object! Most of the time, though, if it is on social media and the person is being a zealot, I simply hit "unfriend"!