Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Friday, November 20, 2015

The hardest questions

Finally, there’s these, which will really make you (and me!) think:

  1. Can we create a situation where our character is unprepared? In over his head?
  2. In the beginning, what distinguishes this character from other people?
  3. What external situation will require the protagonist's participation throughout the course of the book? 
  4. What is the character's goal for the time the book covers?
  5. How does this connect with the external situation? Or does the external situation divert the character from his goal? Why does the protagonist SAY he/she wants the goal? Is there a deeper motivation as yet unknown to him/her?
  6. What do you want to happen at the end of the book?
  7. What will have to happen to the protagonist against his will to make your ending come about?

My answers:

  1. I'm sure I can but I haven't yet.
  2. There is something, but I'm going to keep that to myself for now.
  3. The murder investigation.
  4. Solving the murder - but there may be some other goals that arise over the course of the book.
  5. There is a deeper motivation behind the reason Beck wants to solve the case but again, I'm going to hold that back.
  6. Ditto.
  7. Here's another hard question I don't have the answer to. Then again, does something HAVE to happen? Ooh, wait...I think I just thought of something!!! See? Isn't this fun?

Okay. Your turn now, though I'll understand if you don't want to give full answers to some of these questions! I also hope this was helpful and if anyone wants my full list of character development questions et al, email me (marcy@tidewater.net) and I'll be happy to share :)

1 comment:

Patchi said...

I had to give these some extra thought...

1. I have just the thing planned for the second major plot point.
2. I'd say River's ideology
3. Building the school, receiving the orphans
4. utopia
5. River is trying to create a safe haven for the orphans
6. I want the reader to understand why River let personal issues sidetrack her actions.
7. A good yank on those heartstrings.