Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Final Words

I'm not quite to the end of my current work-in-progress yet. That is, I have written it, but that was for a previous draft. I'm still working on the current draft.

Is the last line as important as the first? At the moment, the last two paragraphs of my novel are:
I leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. “You better not.” 
The conductor approached the front of the stage and bowed. Then he turned to the orchestra and dropped a downbeat.
Okay, I shared mine. What's the last line of your novel?

6 comments:

Huntress said...

From my first and most beloved novel, Of Oak and Dragons:

And she cringed when the dragon laughed.

Charity Bradford said...

Endings! I hate them as much as beginnings because I feel they are even more important than the beginning. You can forgive a weak beginning if the end is satisfying.

This is the first draft ending of FIM. I'm afraid it will change a bit because the character changed and this doesn't quite fit anymore.

"You'd better. Now let's get out of here. I've waited long enough to make you my leannan."
I didn't know what that meant, but his voice had dropped low and husky next to my ear, sending a thrill through me. It was time to learn the meaning of yet another word that flowed so beautifully from his lips.

Unknown said...

I've never written a novel. But the last of my last essay were:

Meaning that the organic
rich sedimentation in the Atlantic during n interval of worldwide oxic
deepwater sedimentation is not caused by greenhouse event but it must have been driven
by the favorable Atlantic Ocean special configuration and the ambient shelf basins and continents (Wagreich, 2012)

Huntress said...

@john Doe Now THAT is a good last sentence! *still LMAO*

Aldrea Alien said...

I'm still working on the last two chapters so it'll likely be fleshed out some more, but this is the ending so far...


"I'll do whatever you desire."
"Even tear the world apart?"
He kissed her. "As long as you're at my side to help me mend it."

Liz A. said...

Oooh, some nice endings!