Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Gems. The Unlikely Bonuses to Life

Today, one of my Beloved. And it isn’t even fantasy. Yeah, shocks me too.

Everyone’s heard of Jack London and The Call of the Wild. I received this book as a present from a teacher. It took a while for me to read and understand what it was about since I was six at the time but White Fang followed it soon after. Both were excellent and I dearly hope kids still read stuff like them now.

But neither book is my Beloved. Mr. London wrote many stories. Tales of the sea, prizefighting, and a dystopia novel called The Iron Heel that I’m going to check out. The one that I found in a bin of second-hand, well-used books holds a distinguished place on my oak shelf.

It is Burning Daylight.

The height of the Klondike Gold Rush has not hit yet, only small nibbles of gold to tease men and women into giving up their civilized lives. It is 1896 and Elam Harnish is about to become rich. No one knows him by this name. They call him Burning Daylight or Daylight, and life can’t hold him back from anything that he desires.

He fights men, the elements, and faceless conglomerates who would take everything from him. Daylight goes from a man who enjoys life to a hard-bitten, fearsome creature who needs no one and nothing.

Dede changes that. In the end, he sees the man he has become.

I am not a bodice-ripping kind of writer or reader, but I do like romance done right. To me, the less description in the boudoir the better. Let me fill in the blanks, if you please Ms. James.

For me, the most erotic line in any novel is in Burning Daylight. This is just after their marriage:
She heard the footsteps of Daylight returning, and caught her breath with a quick intake. He took her hand in his, and, as he turned the door-knob, felt her hesitate. Then he put his arm around her; the door swung open, and together they passed in.

Burning Daylight is free on Amazon

Check it out sometime.


2 comments:

Robin said...

I will check it out.

When I was a teenager I loved reading romance novels. The more bodice ripping, the better. But that was because I was knee deep in a subject that I never experienced.

Later, it all grew tiresome. If I was going to read a romance, I wanted some mystery or a thriller angle to it. And, as you say, the less details about what happens in the bedroom, the better. Yeah, it's gonna happen. But let me fill in the details.

Liz A. said...

Never been much of a Jack London fan. Might have to check this one out.