An unselfish wish made on the horn of a unicorn will come true. Our wish? To support the writing community by giving constructive tips and criticism through submissions. Check out the submissions tab for more information. We can survive the crucible of fire together.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Yay or Nay #3: Deceptive Cadence

We pushed through the crowd toward them, when my hand was grabbed and I was pulled off course. I found myself in James’ arms as he smiled down at me. “Hi beautiful.”

I swallowed, dazzled by how good he looked and even smelled. Up close I saw he’d brushed his teeth and he smelled like men’s cologne rather than the normal cigarettes. I couldn’t help breathing his scent in as my eyes took in the rest.

He knew I was checking him out and grinned. “Dance with me, just for one dance.”

I nodded and he wrapped his arms tighter around my waist. I couldn’t pull away, I couldn’t even look away. Our eyes locked and he smiled. “So Cadence, you’re name’s a little ironic when the only thing that comes close to musical about you is your hollering on the sports field.”

I grinned. “I know. It’s a family thing, musical names.”

He leaned a little closer. “It suits you though.”

I held my breath and without realizing, my eyes darted to his lips. He gave me a crooked smile and shifted closer. His nose brushed against mine and he paused, our lips not quite touching.

“Don’t you dare kiss me,” I told him.

“Why not?”

“Because…” But his breath on my lips when he spoke pulled me in and I pressed my lips against his.

His right arm tightened around me as his left hand came up and caressed my face. My whole body tingled with excitement as I clung to him, our kiss intensifying. But when his tongue slipped into my mouth I pulled away. “Crap!”

He pulled me back against him and planted his lips firmly against mine again. I melted into his arms, as he clasped the back of my head.