An unselfish wish made on the horn of a unicorn will come true. Our wish? To support the writing community by giving constructive tips and criticism through submissions. Check out the submissions tab for more information. We can survive the crucible of fire together.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Self-published author Kathleen S. Allen

Finally Friday! And we close the week of self-published authors with Kathleen S. Allen

17yo Cassie is tired of feeling invisible especially next to her model gorgeous BFF. When she finds a book in a used bookstore on how to be famous in ten days she devises a plan---with the help of her BFF---to do just that. She has hilarious and sometimes serious, almost disastrous consequences on her quest to be "seen." YA contemporary







Tell us a little about yourself, Kathleen.

I wrote my first book of poems when I was eight. I copied out my poems on paper, added an orange and blue construction paper book jacket, punched holes in the side and added a red ribbon to tie it all up. I made ten of them and gave them away as holiday gifts.  

How did you get from being a writer to self-publishing?

I decided to self-publish because my first YA book—AINE—was too short for a traditional publisher.

Did you have a background that proved to be helpful or any experience? How hard was it?

No background. I hired a cover designer/formatter and she did a great job. I have done others by myself, making my own covers and they’ve turned out well.

What did you do wrong? Right?

Not hiring a professional editor was a mistake I made for a couple of self-pubbed books. I did hire one for several of the other books. I’d say hire a professional editor, a cover designer/formatter, and if you can afford it, a publicist. The marketing end of self-publishing is what I fall behind on.

Are you happy with your choice? Do you think you'll stick with self-publishing or are you still keeping your options over?
 
I’ve also published with small presses and been happy with that option. Will I still self-publish? Sure. I enjoy doing it but I would also love to go the traditional publishing route with an agent so I could get that movie deal. LOL.
 
Check out all my books here: http://kathleensallen.weebly.com/

3 comments:

Em-Musing said...

What a great concept for a story. I like that you mentioned hiring an editor. Many of my writer friends said I shouldn't, but if I self pub, how will I ever know it will make the grade?

Jess said...

Sounds like a fun book! Great interview also~ thanks for the insight :) Best of luck with sales!

Liz A. said...

Sounds like a book my niece might like. Hmmm...