Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Description - The Dome

"From two-thousand feet, where Claudette Saunders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down. Cars trundled along Main Street, flashing up winks of sun. The steeple of the Congo Church looked sharp enough to pierce the unblemished sky. The sun raced along the surface of the Prestile Stream as the Seneca V overflew it, both plane and water cutting the  town on the same diagonal course."

I love the comparison of the town to something gleaming and "freshly made" and how the first sentence immediately suggests to me that our narrator may be hinting at something... interesting. Either the town is indeed like something "freshly made and just set down," or, it is not. And really, where do cars trundle? Probably ONLY in Chester Mills. Some mythical small town in some northwest corner of  Maine - my fair state.

It also happens to be the home state of the author, Stephen King, and this first paragraph is from his novel, THE DOME. If you like Stephen King I'll wager you'll like this. Both as a writer and and a reader.

3 comments:

Kate OMara said...

I was wondering about 'the cars trundle'? It seems like something they used to do... a model T sort of thing. I don't feel trundled in my truck. :)
So glad we're moving on after the A to Z.

Huntress said...

I didn't know it was Stephen King. Hm. Once upon a time I was really into his stuff.

Huntress said...

I own vehicles that 'trundle' LOL.